CARSTAIRS - The results of a town-sponsored online survey aimed at gauging possible interest in a transit service from Carstairs to Calgary may be made public at the upcoming council meeting, says Town of Carstairs Mayor Lance Colby.
A joint project by the Town of Carstairs and the Town of Crossfield, the survey was conducted to measure interest from residents on having a transit bus pick up in the towns and travel to and from Calgary during weekdays.
“This survey would need to be run by a non-profit organization, as town administration would not be able to run this service for residents,” the survey’s preamble states. “Residents would need to purchase a monthly pass to use the transit service.”
The survey opened in June and closed on Aug. 18, with the results now being compiled.
Questions asked included the following:
• Would you be interested in a transit bus service from Carstairs and Crossfield to downtown Calgary during the week?
• Would have access the transit service from Carstairs or from Crossfield?
• Would you be willing to purchase a monthly pass for this service?
• What fee would you be willing to pay for a monthly pass for this service? Choices were $500 month, $600, $700 or other.
• What time would you need to arrive in downtown Calgary if using this service?
• What time would you need to leave Calgary at the end of the day?
• Would you still be willing to use this service if you arrive in Calgary an hour prior to when you need to be there and depart Calgary an hour after you would normally depart for home?
• What location in Calgary would you prefer as a drop-off location?
• Would you be willing to sit on a non-profit board and help with the administration of this service to Calgary?
“We will look at the results and see what people would like to see,” said Colby.
A Carstairs to Calgary bus service operated during the COVID-19 pandemic was well received, he noted.
“A lot of people liked it and used it,” he said. “I know it was quite popular when it was here.”
The next regularly scheduled council meeting is Aug. 28.