People of all ages are looking to maximize their cannabis experience, especially as marijuana continues to become legalized. Increased appetite is one of the most common side effects, so pairing your favourite strains with foods you love is a logical next step for getting the most out of your high. Desserts and sweet treats are a common indulgence after a session, and finding the perfect dessert pairing couldn’t be easier. Today, we’ll teach you how to create the perfect cannabis and dessert pairings!
It’s All About Terpenes
Terpenes are naturally occurring oils found in all plants. While there are tens of thousands of known terpenes, there are just a handful that make specific cannabis strains what they are. Each terpene in cannabis has unique characteristics, including smell, body effects, and boiling temperature - learning these specifics is critical to get the most bang for your buck.
Using Terpenes for Pairings
With a simple online search of your favorite marijuana strain, you’ll be able to find the dominant terpene. For dessert pairings, you’ll want to focus on the terpene’s aroma or smell, as well as other plants where it’s commonly found. From there, you’ll match the flavors that you love! If you have a strain with a dominant terpene commonly found in citrus fruits, pairing it with a fruity dessert could be a game-changer. Below, we’ll cover some of the most common terps and the strains that feature them, as well as delicious pairing ideas for each.
As the name of this terpene implies, you’ll have strong lemon or citrus flavours and aromas with strains heavy in limonene. Lemon OG and Super Lemon Haze are limonene strains, but it’s also found in Purple Haze, Durban Poison, and Sour Diesel. Here are some popular limonene strains and desserts to match:
- Wedding Cake - This hybrid doesn’t pair great with its namesake but will wed perfectly with a cherry cheesecake. Wedding Cake’s tangy flavour will blend well with cheesecake, and the cherries complement the hints of pepper without being overwhelming.
- Sour Diesel - One of the most widely available strains on the market, the unique smell and taste of Sour Diesel goes great with chocolate chip cookies (or any cookie with chocolate). Dry mouth is a common side effect, so be sure to have plenty of milk on hand.
- Super Lemon Haze - This uplifting sativa will max out the lemon and citrus flavours in any dessert, but the combination can get overpowering. Try something light like a fruit and yogurt parfait for the right balance of flavours.
Linalool is found naturally in lavender, rosewood, and some citrus fruits. Strains with linalool often have flowery, spicy aromas with hints of citrus. Typically found in indica strains, linalool is excellent for the sweet treat right before bed:
- Amnesia Haze - One of the few sativas with large amounts of linalool, Amnesia Haze has some earthy, lemony notes that pair perfectly with crème brûlée. With uplifting effects, you’ll have the focus to make this challenging dish yourself.
- Lavender - Also known as Lavender Kush, this floral strain will pair perfectly with dark chocolate desserts such as mousse or cake. Grapes and blackberries also work well with the hints of spice that Lavender Kush displays.
- Skywalker OG - Skywalker OG is a hybrid variety with a strong earthy or woody aroma and can have subtle flower or spice notes. Salted caramel bars or ice cream will balance these flavours and are the perfect sweet treat for Skywalker.
One of the most common terpenes found in cannabis, myrcene helps inflammation and will provide a relaxing experience to users. It’s often found in lemongrass, thyme, mangos, and other citrus fruits giving myrcene strains a lot of variety:
- Blue Dream - One of the most popular strains of all time, Blue Dream has fruity flavours that pair stunningly well with strawberry shortcake. The hints of berry in Blue Dream mix perfectly with the sweetness of the cake and whipped cream.
- Granddaddy Purple - GDP, a super popular indica, has a sweet aroma of berries and grapes. It may sound too simple, but vanilla ice cream makes the perfect sweet treat for this strain.
Making the perfect weed and dessert pairing couldn’t be easier when you know what to look for! Every strain is different, so research the terpene profiles and consider what works best with those flavours. With the right combination of cannabis and dessert, you’ll be treating yourself on another level!