Skip to content

CESD trustees review compensation package

Trustees for the Chinook's Edge School Division are scheduled to consider a remuneration review of their compensation at a March board meeting following a presentation by two public members of the audit committee that was charged to look at the revie

Trustees for the Chinook's Edge School Division are scheduled to consider a remuneration review of their compensation at a March board meeting following a presentation by two public members of the audit committee that was charged to look at the review.Shawna Pettyjohn and Marnie Heinz told trustees that six school divisions in Central Alberta and five municipalities were surveyed for compensation those organizations pay their public representatives. Factors that were considered in the review included whether the organizations paid a per diem amount or per annum amount as well as benefits availability.The average amount received by school trustees was $29.01 per hour while the average municipality paid $191 per day. The lowest compensation is paid by Wild Rose School Division. Trustee compensation there includes payment for any board meeting, special board meeting and convention trustees attend.The committee recommended a combination rate based on a per annum structure as well as a per diem structure. A per annum structure includes items such as payment for board meetings attended, committee of the whole meetings, board retreats, school functions and Alberta School Boards Association meetings attended.A mileage rate of 50 cents per kilometre was recommended. A ìhealth spending accountî was also recommended to be added that would pay for any items that wouldn't be covered under a benefits plan. For example, if a benefits plan paid for 80 per cent of dental charges, the health spending account could be used to pay for the remaining 20 per cent.Connie Huelsman, Ward 5 trustee for Bowden/Spruce View, said she liked the suggestion that the rates be reviewed annually.ìI really like it that we look at this every September,î she said.The board voted to send the report to the education committee for further discussion. It is due to come back to the full board in March.The review is being completed because it hasn't been done in several years, said Ron Fisher, vice-chair of the board.ìIt was felt that it should be looked at and compared to other school divisions to see if we are in line with the general averages in the province,î he said.In the latest figures that were available, former board chair Ian Taylor was paid $21,730 in remuneration, benefits and expenses for the year ended Aug. 31, 2010, while he claimed $14,341 in expenses.Former vice-chair Doug Wagstaff received $10,911 in remuneration, benefits and allowances over the same period while claiming $7,143 in expenses.Penny Archibald made $11,905 in remuneration, benefits and allowances while claiming $7,056 in expenses.Colleen Butler was paid $21,845 in remuneration, benefits and allowances for the year ended Aug. 31, 2010 while claiming a further $13,904 in expenses.Sherry Cooper received $19,441 in remuneration, benefits and allowances and a further $8,940 in expenses.Ron Fisher was paid $24,106 in remuneration, benefits and allowances and $13,598 in expenses.Connie Huelsman earned $12,258 in remuneration, benefits and allowances and a further $6,186 in expenses.Bill MacFarquhar received $23,840 in remuneration, benefits and allowances and $11,734 in expenses.Former trustee Jackie Swainson made $18,596 in remumeration, allowances and benefits and claimed $8,484 in expenses.Former superintendent Jim Gibbons was paid $256,846 in remuneration and benefits for the first nine months of 2010, plus a further $15,063 in expenses.Current superintendent Kurt Sacher received $55,179 in remuneration and benefits for the first three months in 2010 while he claimed $7,864 in expenses.