Skip to content

Faulty furnace blamed for Penhold fire call

Occupants of commercial building safely evacuated
MVT stock Penhold Fire Department truck
Penhold firefighters were called during the evening of March 22 after smoke was reported in a commercial building on Highway 2A. File Photo/MVP Staff

PENHOLD – Occupants of a commercial and retail building were quick to call 911 and evacuate their workplace after smelling smoke from a venting system.

At about 10:30 p.m. on March 22, Penhold Fire Department crews were dispatched to the multi-level structure on Highway 2A, which runs through the middle of town. A total of six units and 22 firefighters responded to this call.

“First arriving crews quickly established an offensive strategy and cleared the main occupancy and surrounding exposures,” said Lieut. Max Johnston.

There were three occupants outside the structure who were waiting for emergency services to arrive, said Chief Jim Pendergast.

“The occupants did the right thing in calling 911 and evacuating the building,” said Deputy Chief Sean Pendergast.

Capt. Josh Wilson said fire crews determined the smell was coming from a faulty furnace and shut the unit down.

Fire chief Pendergast said firefighters were at the scene for an hour before determining the situation was under control.

He said there was no damage to the building or injuries to the occupants or firefighters.

Pendergast said traffic was light on Highway 2A at that time of the evening and there was not need to divert traffic.