OLDS-BOWDEN — Halloween 2020 was fairly peaceful in Olds and Bowden – about the same as in previous years, according to Staff Sgt. Jim MacDonald, the commanding officer of Olds RCMP.
“Halloween night was not much different than other years,” MacDonald wrote in an email.
“Officers patrolled Olds and Bowden during the early hours to keep an eye on the trick-or-treaters and conducted several bar visits during the later hours. For the most part, people were well behaved with the exception of one bar fight.”
During the evening, officers responded to eight calls for service, including:
• Officers were called to assist ambulance personnel with a potentially armed and combative patient. That incident was resolved with mediation.
• Officers apprehended a suicidal male who was sitting on the train tracks. He was transported to the hospital in Red Deer for assessment.
• A fight was reported between teenagers at Centennial Park. Police arrived to find a small group of youths hanging around at the gazebo and determined it was just a group of friends play-fighting.
• Possible drug activity was reported near the Westview Park apartments in Olds. Police attended but the suspects had fled. A stolen vehicle was recovered at that location.
• A suspicious vehicle was noted to be parked blocking an alley but had left before police arrived.
• A 17-year-old youth called police as he had nowhere to go. Officers worked with Child and Family Services to find him a safe location in Red Deer.
• Police were requested to provide a drive for someone from Olds to Red Deer. Alternative arrangements were made.