MOUNTAIN VIEW COUNTY – County council has approved the 2020 Citizenship Award winners from area high schools. The move came by way of motion at the recent regularly scheduled council meeting.
The annual awards are presented to recognize contributions made by local rural youth to their communities, and are given to one Grade 12 student in each of the high schools located within the municipality's geographical boundaries.
Applicants are judged on such attributes as attitude towards school and community, involvement in extra-curricular activities, enthusiasm and initiative, volunteer work in the community, leadership qualities and academic standing.
The 2020 recipients are as follows:
• Hayley Himmelspeck from Carstairs’ Hugh Sutherland School
• Kennedy Collins from Cremona School
• Carol Aebersold and Noelle Aebersold from Didsbury High School
• Benjamin Werdal from Olds Koinonia Christian School
• Claire Peterson from École Olds High School
There were no applicants received from Sundre High School.
Each recipient receives a $1,000 cash award as well as a commemorative plaque, which will be presented when in-person council meetings resume.