MOUNTAIN VIEW COUNTY - The 2021 Water Valley Stampede rodeo saw great competition under excellent conditions, says rodeo secretary Hilary Hahn.
The Foothills Cowboy Association (FCA) rodeo took place Sept. 3-5. About 150 competitors and 35 mutton busters were involved, with several thousand audience members enjoying excellent weather throughout.
The Water Valley event was one of four FCA rodeos (the others in Caroline, Airdrie and Cochrane) held over weekend to give competitors a chance to qualify for finals.
Winners in the various Water Valley events are as follows:
• Saddle bronc - Briley Scott from Sundre scored a 69 on Lonesome Nights. His dad, Jim, is a former saddle bronc competitor himself.
• Bull riding - Armando Davila from Red Willow scored a 66 on Blizzard.
• Bareback riding - Keegan Elder from Wetaskiwin scored a 72 on Graze On.
• Novice horse riding - Colten Powell from Innisfail scored a 59 on Poverty Bend.
• Junior bull riding - Brodie Schatz from Foremost scored a 73 on Droopy.
• Steer wrestling - Glen Allen Nash from Drayton Valley had a 14.8 second time.
• Tie down roping - Pablo Robles from Donalda had a 10.2 second time.
• Ladies barrel racing - Mary Ann Toohey from Consort had a 16.679 second time.
• Junior barrel racing - Amy Naismith from Brant had a 16.981 second time.
• Pee wee barrel racing - Checotah Many Grey Horses from Cardston had a 17.752 second time.
• Ladies breakaway roping - Jaclyn Pickerell from Altario had a 5.06 second time.
• Junior breakaway roping - Caleb Fawcett from Stettler had a 15.67 second time.
• Steer riding - Kahl Wasilow from Maple Creek, SK scored a 72.
• Team roping - Austin and Rylin Scheller from Stavely had a 8.5 second time.
Wild Cow Milking was won by Kale David and Dustin Morison from Airdrie, while the Wild Horse Race was won by Waylon Wasylciw from Sherwood Park.
Area Mountain View County councillor Greg Harris said the Water Valley rodeo was very well attended.
The FCA finals are scheduled for Oct. 15-17 in Stavely.