Skip to content

Scented candles believed to have caused Innisfail fire

A family with three children ages 12, 10 and 6 were living in the Innisfail duplex unit most heavily damaged by the fire and managed to escape
MVT Innisfail Fire Department train and car crash
File photo/MVP STaff

INNISFAIL — Scented candles that were accidentally knocked over appear to have been the cause of a fire that ravaged one half of a duplex and severely damaged another on 37th Street in Innisfail. 

Innisfail Fire Department Chief Gary Leith says firefighters got the call at 11:05 on Sunday morning, Sept. 11. Bowden firefighters also responded. 

Leith says firefighters were quickly able to knock down the fire but both crews remained on scene for about four hours. 

A family with three children ages 12, 10 and 6 were living in the duplex unit most heavily damaged and managed to escape. Leith says it’s his understanding they’re now living with a family member. 

He says they were alerted by a smoke detector and tried to battle it themselves but “once it took hold, they were unable to.” 

Leith said having an operable smoke detector gave the family the opportunity to learn of the fire and get out. 

The adjoining property was “not excessively damaged” but has currently been deemed to be uninhabitable, he said. 

Residents of that unit were not at home at the time of the fire. At the time of the Albertan interview, Leith was not sure where they are living. 

 



Doug Collie

About the Author: Doug Collie

Read more



Comments