CARSTAIRS - Town councillors are scheduled to consider an updated playground inspection policy at this week’s council meeting, a policy designed to ensure local playgrounds continue to be safe for use throughout the year.
The Playground Inspection Policy 72-08-001-21 states that inspections of the play facilities in town will take place both monthly and yearly.
“This is an update to an existing policy,” said Carl McDonnell, the town's chief administrative officer. “This policy was recommended for review, by the operational services department, to the policy and governance committee back in September. We brought it forward to the committee at their first meeting following the election.”
Guidelines of the policy state that monthly and annual inspections will consist of a walk-through of the playgrounds, removal of debris, and a documented visual and physical examination of the playground equipment.
According to the policy, the inspections will include checking to ensure components are tight and secure, there are no tripping hazards, that moving suspected elements are connected to a fixed support with bearings or bearing surfaces that serve to reduce friction or wear, and ensure steel cables are inaccessible or capped to prevent injury from frayed wires.
The examination will also ensure that there is no rusting, rotting or significant decay of the playground equipment.
Fireworks bylaw update also being considered
Council is also scheduled this week to consider updates to the town’s Fire Works Bylaw #1025. The updated bylaw is being made to reflect updated provincial legislation, including regarding permits.
The updated prohibition section of the bylaw includes a number of additions, including the following:
• No person shall discharge or set off fireworks in a place or manner that creates a danger or constitutes a nuisance to any person or property.
• No person shall discharge or set off fireworks on a highway, road allowance or park without property permits in place.
• No person shall discharge or set off fireworks within 200 metres of any place where explosives or flammable liquids or combustible liquids or substances are manufactured or stored.
• No person under the age of 18 shall purchase or be in possession of fireworks.
• The updated bylaw also removes the previous wording that no person shall “bring fireworks into the Town of Carstairs without written permission of the fire department”.