Skip to content

Investigators determine fire started by child using incendiary device

A fire at an apartment building in Northern Alberta that got out of hand very quickly has been deemed accidental.
img_0818

ST. PAUL, Alta. – The investigation of a fire on Nov. 24 at the Desjardins Apartments in St. Paul has concluded. On Nov. 30, it was confirmed that the fire was accidentally set by a child in a suite.

"It appears that a child was using an incendiary device, resulting in combustible material catching fire, with the fire getting out of hand very quickly," according to information provided by St. Paul Fire Chief Trevor Kotowich. The fire was deemed accidental, following the investigation and there was no intention to start a fire.

"I can confirm that one adult occupant of the suite was treated and released from the hospital," said Kotowich, when speaking with Lakeland Today. "Some injuries were sustained attempting to extinguish the fire."